Going to Church in Finland

Sunday, March 22, 2009

We've been to church quite a few times now. It is amazing how different it is. Everything is on a much smaller scale. The building is really small, and the ward only has maybe 100 people in it, but the spirit is so strong here in Oulu.

Everyone looks out for one another and there is a big focus on missionary work. There is a sweet older lady at church who hands the boys a candy each week. Ryan has a person who translates Primary for him. Leah has an older man who loves to old her each week. His name is Brother Hainnen. He was in the circle when Leah was blessed and he informed us afterwards that he was watching her and that she was smiling and laughing the whole time. He told me today that he has figured it out and that he has been alive for 24,000 days!

As soon as we walk in the door with our strollers, there are always people there to take our kids and start undressing them from their snow clothes.

Ben is exhausted by the time he hits nursery at 12PM. One day he was crying and my friend suggested that he take a nap. So he laid down on the mat and squeezed his little eyes shut and went to sleep. He slept for the rest of church and then some. This week we thought we would do the same thing, but alas, we had forgot his teddy bear. Luckily, there was a nice stuffed rat in the nursery cupboard. Ben didn't think much of him however.

The moms with younger kids buckle their kids up and coax them to sleep in their strollers, and then they can go to class. The hallway is lined with strollers with little kids snoozing away. All in all church is a good experience, even if it takes 3 extra hours to make the journey switching buses and walking.








4 comments:

The Kent Family said...

Sarah,

It's so fun reading your blog! It sounds like you guys are having quite an adventure. I look forward to staying updated!

Liz said...

Wow! Having sleeping children during church is my favorite!! I love how you are feeling the Lord's love in Finland. I am so glad you are making the effort to go, even when it requires a bigger effort. Thanks for sharing--it's so much fun to hear about.

I put the children's ages on their photos on our blog, and if you go to our family library link, you'll find some books that we have loved. I hope this will help you--perhaps more when you are back here. Love you!

The Ashment Family said...

Hooray! I am so excited that you have a blog! It looks like y'all are having a great time! You make living in Finland look pretty fun. Although, I still don't know if I would ever be brave enough to handle the negative whatever temperatures!

Aria said...

Going to church in other parts of the world is one of the best parts of living or visiting abroad. It's so wonderful to see the church being loved and cherished by great members everywhere. It's cool to see how strong missionary work is in areas that aren't as highly member-populated. I'm so glad the members there are warm and welcoming and helpful with the kids. That nice old man with Leah sounds so sweet.

....but I can't believe you have to travel an extra 3 hours every Sunday! With buses and walking! And with 3 kids! Now THAT deserves some blessings for you guys. Way to go! I'm so proud.